The Raetian Museum
The Historical Museum is located in the House Buol in the old part of Chur. The baroque patrician house was built in 1675 by Baron Paul von Buol zu Strassberg und Rietberg (1634-1697) who belonged to the ruling class of the Three Leagues. Inside the building the wide flights of stairs lead from the basement vaults to the ground floor with carriage entrance, to two stately floors, as well as to the servants’ floor and the attic.
As in other Swiss cantons the founding of the museum was initiated by the increasing exodus of valuable cultural goods towards the end of the 19th century. The lawyer, historian and politician Peter Conradin von Planta-Zuoz (1815-1902) therefore arranged for the creation of a foundation for the benefit of a “Graubünden Museum for Science and Art”. The museum was opened on the ground floor of the House Buol on June 8, 1872. Initially it included a library, a natural history collection and a collection of antiquities.
Flyer Reatian Museum >